What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Friday, May 18, 2007

$4 Shiraz
Blue Reef 2004
Australia
Sprouts Farmers Market

Let me start off by warning you that this is a screw-top wine. That being said, put your reservations aside because this wine is superb! After I poured a bit, I stuck my nose in and took a big whiff...the first thing that came to mind was the beach. I smelled seawater and a beachy/briney scent. (Interestingly enough it is named "Blue Reef.") I was so intrigued by the first smell, I went in for another and was greeted with the same beachy scent along with garden flowers. I couldn't wait to try it out. The first sip seemed a little metallic, and I wasn't sure where it was going. On the second and third sips I picked up on an earthy, leathery taste and it was very silky. After a few more sips, a caramel note came through that was very thick and mapley. This wine also has a nice mouth-feel which adds to it's character. Definitely a winner.

5 out of 5 stars

Chelsie's Tastings Home Page

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store