What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Friday, August 3, 2007

$5 Shiraz
Banrock Station
South Eastern Australia 2005
Albertsons

It's becoming apparent that Australia is one of the biggest (and in my opinion- best) Shiraz producers. This one is a deep purpley red and when I swirl the glass, the wine sticks nicely to the sides and doesn't drip much. It smells lovely of peppery notes on top of slightly unripened raspberries and sweet blueberries. So far so good, so I go in for sip. the immediate taste is of espresso and a bit of cocoa. The second taste brings even more strong coffee flavors with a bit of almond and a touch of berries. I take a third sip hoping for a bigger array of flavors, but the coffee flavors are taking over. About half way through the glass the coffee-ness subsides and the berry flavors begin to come through along with some subtle caramel. All in all, it's a good wine for the price and I would recommend it. Especially if you like coffee and caramel!

I give this wine 4 out of 5 stars

***Note- I enjoyed this wine after my husband sprayed grout sealer on our kitchen tile so our house smells like nail polish remover. I did my tasting away from the kitchen, but it may have affected my palate anyway.

Chelsie's Tastings Home Page

No comments:

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store