What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Friday, June 11, 2010

$4 Forestville
Merlot 2008
California
Stater Bros.

I was very excited to try this wine, as the 2005-2007 vintages were pretty darn good. But unfortunately, the 2008 fell flat. It had a promising start... the nose on this dark burgundy wine is rich and hearty. Very earthy aromas with a bit of ripe plum. Upon tasting I get a quick bite of fruit which quicky mellowed into a watery, tinny earthiness. And just like that, it was gone. No lingering finish, just a wham, bam, thank you ma'am. It sadly is lacking all that Merlot has to offer. I tried it through my wine aerator which made a very slight improvement. I tried it with some of my favorite aged cheddar which always perks up an unfortunate bottle, but alas, I'm afraid there is not much help for it.

I give this wine a 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store