What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Friday, July 9, 2010

Vinturi VS. Wine Soiree
TASTE-OFF!

As you may or may not know, aeration is the KEY to enjoying cheap wine. Why is that? Because exposing the wine to air can reduce or mellow out any bitterness and funky flavors you might encounter when you take a chance on a $2 bottle of wine. My Vinturi aerator has made an undrinkable bottle of wine drinkable again. It has saved countless bottles of wine from being poured down the drain. But the big drawback to the Vinturi is that it is expensive, it stains, the plastic eventually becomes dull and it becomes something you keep in the drawer instead of displaying on the wine bar where it used to reside. It is also creates a bit of a drippy mess after you pour 2-3 glasses through it. Which requires a break to rinse and dry it before resuming use.

I was so excited to try the Wine Soiree because number one, its affordability. If you drink dirt cheap wine, you want to keep your wine accessories dirt cheap too. And another bonus is that is made of glass, which won't stain or become dull. BUT I was worried that it could never live up to my Vinturi. But at half the price of one Vinturi, if it was even half as good, it would still be a bargain.

The major difference between the two aerators is that you pour the wine into the top of the Vinturi aerator and it comes out the bottom into the glass. When not in use, it rests in a holder. You have to use it per glass which can get kind of drippy. The Wine Soiree pops into the top of the bottle so you can easily pour multiple glasses with ease.

I tested the two on a Black Swan Shiraz, which was on the young and bitter side straight from the bottle. I tasted the Wine Soiree pour and WOW what a difference. It cut the bitterness and mellowed it out into a perfect Shiraz. The Vinturi pour also cut the bitterness... but not as much. I was stunned that the Wine Soiree beat out my beloved Vinturi! I spent thirty minutes between the three glasses and multiple cracker breaks (to cleanse the palate) and the Wine Soiree continued to out perform the Vinturi. Okay I am sold.

Now don't get me wrong, my Vinturi is still destined to make the occasional appearance. Since the Wine Soiree is attached to the bottle, it would make it difficult to aerate the wine a second time if needed (yes, once in a while I pour a wine 2-3 times through the Vinturi to mellow it out) But it will remain in the drawer while the Wine Soiree will sit nicely on the bar.

Check it out at the Wine Soiree site.

2 comments:

La Gourmandesse said...

I have an aerator similar to the Wine Soiree and I am a fan as well.

As a cheap wine lover myself, an aerator or decanter is a must!

I love the premise of your blog- I do one similar but it's $10 wine because things are more expensive here in Canada- and liquor is unfortunately not sold in the grocery store.

I'm going to try some of your fave cheapies- although I'll be paying much more than $2 up here!

Andrew Lazorchak said...

I am so pleased to see your article and findings on Soiree vs Vinturi.

I just wanted to add one tip on how to get the Soiree to churn up a real stubborn wine. This link will bring up a Jpeg of how to Prime the bottle.
http://vineyardvlog.com/wp-content/Soiree/Priming%20The%20Bottle.jpg

Thanks for your kind words and efforts!

Andrew
@WineSoiree

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store