What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Thursday, August 12, 2010

$5 Barefoot
Cabernet Sauvignon
California
Stater Bros.

I was excited to find this on sale this week for $5 (usually it's around $7... a bit pricey for my under-$5-budget.) There is no year on the label, except for a "best buy" award from Wine Enthusiast in 2008 talking about "Cabernet Blends."

The nose is fruity with a peppery (thinking green peppers here) quality. The palate is full and thick with flavors of spice and charcoal with a decently long finish. The fruit is a bit lost and not quite as "jammy" right off the bat as the label says. I aerated it with my Wine Soiree and it softened it enough to let some of fruitiness come out. I picked up some notes of blueberry and blackberry. Overall, pretty good stuff, I would buy it again.

I give this wine a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree,4 1/2 out of 5 Stars! This is as good as any $10 Cab I've ever had, and at only $4.99 at Fred Meyer, you can't go wrong! Top Foods in Edmonds stopped selling this, and they put Flip Flop in it's shelf space. I tried the Flip Flop and it was terrible! Go Barefoot over Flip Flop any day! Get it? lol I love Barefoot!

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store