What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Saturday, January 1, 2011

Il Valore $4
2009 Sangiovese
Italy
Trader Joes

I just love a good Sangiovese and I was excited to try this one- so affordable! The nose was absolutely yummy with the richness of figs, the fruitiness of black currants and hint of dark chocolate and black pepper. But on the first sip, the disappointment set in. It tasted nothing like it smelled... there was an intense bitterness right off the bat, totally lacking fruit and a medium finish of more bitterness. Yikes, this was really bad. Before dumping it, I popped on my wine soiree (aerator) and poured a bit through it. It softened the bitterness quite a bit, but it still overwhelmed the wine. I was ready to give this wine a 2 out of 5 stars, but then I forgot about it on the counter for four days. I figured I would give it one more shot before the drain, and poured a bit in a glass. And you know what, it wasn't half bad. It still wasn't great, but definitely drinkable. So the moral of this story is that if you get a bottle of this, plan ahead to decant and aerate the heck out of it before attempting to drink it.

I give this wine 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store