What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Tuesday, May 8, 2007

$4 Reisling
Ulrich Langguth 2005
Germany
Trader Joes

cheap affordable bargain My first love of wine came from tasting a Reisling, they are very sweet and my husband loves them. Reasonable Reislings are usually in the $8-$10 range, so I was quite surprised to find a $4 bottle. This one in particular I didn't have high hopes for, and I don't really know why- other than it was an affordable Reisling and I'm not a big sweet-wine drinker. This particular brand is made from grapes in the Hessiche Bergtrasse region in Germany which means nothing to me, but is fun fact for you wine buffs. Upon the first pour, I was intrigued by the unusual initial scent of soap, which gave way to pear. My husband even said "Pear!" when I asked him for some input. It had a very brisk fruit flavor on the first sip. On the second and third sips there was a definite pineapple overtone as well as layers of the usual Reisling players of apple and pear. There was a subtle maple flavor that came through on sips 4 and 5. After that, the flavors all melded together nicely and I was quite impressed. I would definitely recommend it, especially at this bargain price.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

SgtMajor said...

yikes..wine...
hmm its very cheap i think
i dont know where to get it here
in my country

A.Wallace said...

I work for TJ's and honestly this has to be the best selling Riesling in my store. I'm not a fan of German wines, but this was nice and especially for the price. This is very good during the summer with grilled fish.

http://tjmidwest.blogspot.com

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store