What is Dirt Cheap Wine?

Since 2007, DCW has been providing you with reviews of wines that are $5 or less per bottle and easily found at your local grocery, drugstore or wine store.

Reviews- Simple, straightforward and written while tasting.

Now onto the wine!


Monday, July 16, 2007

$5 Cabernet/Shiraz
Matties Perch
South Eastern Australia
Safeway

Interestingly this wine has very little "nose" to offer. The first sniff got me nowhere and the second one picked up next to nothing as well. Not impressed by the lack of aromatics, I chug on in hopes of a turnaround. As I taste the wine, I am immediately greeted by a sweetness and raisins and figs. I deduct the blend must be about 80% cab. But it is good nonetheless. I go on to taste more but it's pretty much the same flavor over and over again. There is an interesting tanginess towards the end and a quick finish. I think this is a very drinkable red despite it's lack of aromatics.

I give this consistent wine a 4 out 5 stars.


Chelsie's Tastings Home Page

NEW!!
Wine Aerator- A Must-Have for Dirt Cheap Wine Drinkers! A good wine aerator can help to "fix" any weird tastes or funky smells that can accompany a not-so-great bottle of wine. Don't pour it down the drain... pour it through an aerator! See some affordable choices at the Dirt Cheap Wine Store